Information for Undergraduates
Congratulations on your achievement!
This checklist serves as a reference to assist you through the commencement registration process. For questions concerning degree requirements, graduation applications and your eligibility to graduate, please contact the Registrar’s Office directly.
- Apply for graduation with the Registrar’s Office
- Review content and complete assignments on the Commencement Canvas site
- Verify your diploma mailing address in Trailhead
- Complete everything on Marching Order: Register with Marching Order, our commencement event software. This software ensures that your name is pronounced correctly during the ceremony. They also produce a slide with optional content (photo and quote) for the virtual ceremony. Your tickets for the ceremony are also available on this site.
- Go to the Marching Order website
- Register as a NEW USER: click the “Please click here to register” link
- Enter your Mines email address, then click “Request Password”
- An email will be sent to you with step to create a password and access the site
- Settle accounts with the Bursar’s Office
- Update your email contact information in Trailhead in order to ensure you receive pertinent information.
- Enjoy the Commencement Ceremony in Lockridge Arena. You have earned it!
Additional Recommendations for Graduates
- Review ceremony dates and times
- Decorate your mortarboard. Check out the guidelines on the Commencement Canvas site
- Review day-of ceremony participation information on the Commencement Canvas site
- Complete Student Financial Aid exit loan counseling
- Still have questions? Email email@example.com
Awards and Honors
Each semester, outstanding graduating student awards are presented to select graduates by their degree-granting department. Additionally, graduates are eligible to apply for the Waltman Award. For more information on the Waltman Award, please review FAQ “Awards” section on the Canvas site for more information.
A baccalaureate student’s cumulative GPA at the time of graduation determines the honors he or she will receive. Final honors designations are determined once final grades have been awarded for the term of graduation. The final honors designation appears on the official transcript and is inscribed on the metal diploma. Honors designations will also appear on the parchment diploma.
Colorado School of Mines awards the designations of Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude and Summa Cum Laude upon graduation. The designations are based on the student’s cumulative GPA as follows:
- 2.000-3.499 = No honors printed on diploma
- 3.500-3.699 = Cum Laude (with honors)
- 3.700-3.899 = Magna Cum Laude (with high honors)
- 3.900-4.000 = Summa Cum Laude (with highest honors)
Honor cords are available through the Mines Bookstore at no additional cost. Commencement ceremony awards (honor cord colors and honors listed in the program) are determined by the student’s cumulative academic record at the end of the preceding semester.
Please note that attendance at a commencement ceremony does not guarantee that your degree has been granted. All degree requirements must be met and verified before diplomas are printed.
Commencement Ceremony 1
Friday, May 12, 9 a.m. – Lockridge Arena
DEPARTMENTS (in ceremony order)
- Mining Engineering
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- Geology & Geological Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Applied Mathematics & Statistics
- Economics & Business
- Engineering, Design & Society
Students line up in the Rec Gym, 2nd floor of the SRC at 8 a.m.
Doors open at 8 a.m.
Ceremony begins at 9 a.m.
Ceremony ends ~11 a.m.
Commencement Ceremony 2
Friday, May 12, 1 p.m. – Lockridge Arena
- Chemical & Biological Engineering
- Computer Science
- Quantitative Biosciences & Engineering
Students line up in the Rec Gym, 2nd floor of the SRC at 12 p.m.
Doors open at 12 p.m.
Ceremony begins at 1 p.m.
Ceremony ends ~3 p.m.
Commencement Ceremony 3
Friday, May 12, 5 p.m. – Lockridge Arena
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Students line up in the Rec Gym, 2nd floor of the SRC at 4 p.m.
Doors open at 4 p.m.
Ceremony begins at 5 p.m.
Ceremony ends ~7 p.m.
- April 3
Last day to RSVP for the ceremony through Marching Order
- April 3 (or when RSVP submitted)
Ceremony tickets available through Marching Order. RSVP must be submitted before you can access your tickets, students are guaranteed 6 tickets. Additional requests will be considered based on supply and demand.
- April 13
Last day to enter name pronunciation through Marching Order
- April 1
Last day to order cap and gown online through the Bookstore. From April 1 at 10 p.m. until April 11 at 9:59 p.m., online orders will require expedited shipping. Order prior to April 1 to avoid these charges. After April 11, you must place orders in-person in the Bookstore.
- April 21
Last day to claim allocated ceremony tickets before they will be distributed to those on the waitlist.
- April 25
Last day to submit content for your ceremony slide through Marching Order
- May 12, 9 a.m./1 p.m./5 p.m.
Commencement Day (line up at 8 a.m./12 p.m./4 p.m. respectively, in the SRC Rec Gym, 2nd floor)