Information for Undergraduates
Congratulations on your achievement!
This checklist serves as a reference to assist you through the commencement registration process. For questions concerning degree requirements, graduation applications and your eligibility to graduate, please contact the Registrar’s Office directly.
Get ready to graduate!
- Apply for Graduation with the Registrar’s Office
- Review content and complete assignments on the Commencement Canvas site
- Verify your diploma mailing address in Trailhead
- Confirm name pronunciation by November 15th: Register with Marching Order, our commencement event software. This software ensures that your name is pronounced correctly during the ceremony.
- Go to the Marching Order website
- Register as a NEW USER: click the “Please click here to register” link
- Enter your Mines email address, then click “Request Password”
- An email will be sent to you with step to create a password and access the site
- Attend Graduation Salute event on Thursday, October 4th between 10 am – 4 pm in the Student Center Grand Ballrooms
- Order and pay for your cap and gown
- Fill out a survey for the Career Center
- Order your personalized announcements
- Order your class ring
- Join the Alumni Association: it’s free
- Register for membership into the Order of the Engineer
- Find out about the Senior Class Gift
- Ensure your checkout card is complete
- Pick up your tickets after completing the checkout process
- Settle accounts with the Bursar’s Office
- Return any university-issued keys to the Lock Shop, 1318 Maple Street. (They have a drop box.)
- Attend commencement practice December 5th at 4 p.m. in Lockridge Arena
- Export your Mines email to a new or existing account – it will be deactivated and you will lose all your emails if you don’t.
- Update your email contact information in Trailhead in order to ensure you receive pertinent information.
- Enjoy the Commencement Ceremony on Friday, December 14th at 9 a.m. You have earned it!
Additional recommendations for graduates
- Review ceremony dates and times
- Decorate your mortarboard. Check out the guidelines on the Commencement Canvas site
- Review day-of ceremony participation information on the Commencement Canvas site
- Order your photos
- Complete Student Financial Aid exit loan counseling
- Get social! Take your posts and photos on social media using the hashtag #MinesGrad2018
- Still have questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Awards and Honors
Each semester, outstanding graduating student awards are presented to select graduates by their degree-granting department. Additionally, graduates are eligible to apply for the Colorado Engineering Council Award and the Waltman Award. For more information on the Waltman and CEC Awards, please review Waltman CEC Award Information 2017.pdf
A baccalaureate student’s cumulative GPA at the time of graduation determines the honors he or she will receive. Final honors designations are determined once final grades have been awarded for the term of graduation. The final honors designation appears on the official transcript, and is inscribed on the metal diploma. Honors designations will also appear on the parchment diploma.
Colorado School of Mines awards the designations of Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude and Summa Cum Laude upon graduation. The designations are based on the student’s cumulative GPA as follows:
- 2.000-3.499 = No honors printed on diploma
- 3.500-3.699 = Cum Laude (with honors)
- 3.700-3.899 = Magna Cum Laude (with high honors)
- 3.900-4.000 = Summa Cum Laude (with highest honors)
Honor cords are available through the Mines Bookstore at no additional cost. Commencement ceremony awards (honor cord colors and honors listed in the program) are determined by the student’s cumulative academic record at the end of the preceding semester.
Please note that attendance at a commencement ceremony does not guarantee that your degree has been granted. All degree requirements must be met and verified before diplomas are printed.
- October 4
Salute event, 10 a.m.–4 p.m., Grand Ballrooms
- October 26
Last day to order cap and gown through the Bookstore
- November 13
Last day to complete checkout for graduation
- November 15
Last day to Last day to enter name pronunciation and upload an optional shout out/thank you with a photo through Marching Order
- December 5
Graduation practice, 4 p.m., Lockridge Arena
- December 14
Commencement, 9 a.m., Lockridge Arena